Search This Blog

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Eggs Benedict... What a delight!

Eggs Benedict 

One of my favorite meals to eat is delicious Eggs Benedict. The creamy, buttery hollandaise sauce is so delicious. 

4- English Muffins
8- Slices of Canadian Bacon or Ham
8- Eggs

For the Hollandaise Sauce:
4- Egg Yolks
1/2 cup of salted butter
1/2- Lemon Juiced 
1/2- Teaspoon of Ground Mustard
1/4- Teaspoon of White or Cayenne Pepper

I prefer Thomas English Muffins. I do buy the 100 calorie whole wheat muffins. Makes me feel slightly better about the buttery hollandaise sauce I'm about to smother my plate with!
I also have contemplated trying this dish using fried grit cakes or fried polenta, with crab, shrimp, or asparagus. I've seen many different variations but today we are going to focus on the classic dish.

 
Canadian Bacon is essentially Ham. If I don't have it on hand I will substitute regular ham. 
I really enjoy using Farm Fresh eggs from free range chickens. They are the best. These particular eggs came from Aloha Family Farms.

Now the hollandaise sauce. I do mine in a blender. Some do the double boiler method but I find keeping temperature and preventing separation more challenging on a stove top.

1. First add your 4 egg yolks to the blender.
2. Meanwhile melt your stick of butter in a microwave safe bowl. I actually use a microwave safe pitcher. It makes the pouring much easier.

3. Turn your blender on Med-Low. Slowly add your hot melted butter. Remember do this somewhat slow at first otherwise you will end up with lumpy sauce because the hot butter will cook your yolks. Unfortunately I was unable to photograph the pouring of the butter.

4. Add the remaining ingredients and blend well.

In a hot frying pain heat your Canadian bacon. I make eggs over easy but if you are feeling ambitious you can soft poach your eggs.

Assemble your eggs benedict. Toasted muffin, canadian bacon, egg, hollandaise, and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper on top.
ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment