Search This Blog

Friday, August 6, 2010

Some people play sports... I cook!

Some people like to go for a long jog when they're stressed. Some enjoy a nice stiff drink. Some sulk and feel pitty for themselves. I on the other hand cook when I'm stressed. I research and "gawk" over a recipe for days. Play in my head with the many ways I can alter it and make it better. Sometimes I flop but many times they turn out as a culinary party in my mouth! This time of year the possibilities are endless! I get so excited looking at the fresh produce and read about farmers markets. It is true the freshest foods make the best meals!

So tonight the original plan was eggplant roulades with a delicious mexican queso (sort of like a feta) but that all changed while I was walking through the meat department at Buehler's. Some woman browse at Nordstrom or Saks, not this girl! Take me to a display case of meat and seafood, I will grade the merchandise looking for the perfect marbling and color! My waist line pays for that marbling on a daily basis! You should witness my latest laying on the bed to zip my pants episodes!

Anyways I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes.

Flat Iron Steak with Chimichurri Sauce

I know many of you are familiar with the filet, ribeye, sirloin, and porterhouse but one of my favorites and very inexpensive cuts of beef is the flat iron. The Flat Iron is the American name in Britain it would be referred to as the Butler's Cut. This cut of beef comes from the shoulder of the steer and is heavily marbled with flavor. Ten years ago you would have never seen the flat iron steak on a upscale restaurant menu but in the last couple years it has made it's appearance. If cooked to rare to medium-rare and then cut across the grain it is tender and delicious! The North American Meat Processor actually ranked this cut as # 2 in tenderness after the tenderloin. Average cost per pound $6.99!

I grill my flat iron but you can also broil or pan sear. I sprinkle a little Kosher Salt, black pepper, and small amount of garlic on each side. I heat the grill to super hot and give it 3 minutes on each side. Then I remove the steak, letting it rest for 5-8 minutes letting the juices redistribute. Then I slice it thinly against the grain. Yum!
I top my flat iron steak with Chimichurri. It is an Argentinean steak sauce composed of herbs and garlic. This is my favorite recipe Chimichurri Sauce Recipe.

This is a great weeknight dinner or a special date night dinner! I sometimes serve jalapeno rice and black beans and a side of hot tortillas! Tonight had some fresh pico de gallo and chips! YUM-YUM

No comments:

Post a Comment