Interesting question to be asked. A very good question though.
We are unable to make frivolous decisions such as picking a restaurant. Do you want Mac Grill, Olive Garden, Casa, Lola? I don't know you decide. Why can't you just make a stinking decision?
We walk into a Barnes & Noble, one of us is at home and the other well she is slightly lost. "Megs, Are we allowed to sit here, read, and not purchase?" "Hey Megs! This reminds me of Christmas time. I can just come in here and pretend to read but I don't read I skim." "Hey Megs! Is all this page flipping bothering you?" Eventually I lose the picture looking, read every 20 lines, non-bookie! I text her because I'm slightly worried "Where are you?" The text back reads, "I'm in the Serial Killer section." "Ok! I'm coming to get you I'm in the Biographies."
Then the question comes as we are sitting and she is flipping though a "Pottery Barn: Bathroom" picture book. And I'm already on chapter 3 of "Marriage and Other Charitable Acts" by Kate Braestrap, a Universalist Unitarian Minister. "Why are we friends, we are so different?"
I'm sure this question was pondered on the slight guilt of the dramatic page flipping and the annoying noise it made. Or possibly that she pointed out my favorite dish at Macaroni Grill contained 930 calories which caused me to get a sub-par lobster ravioli to cut 410 calories from my meal. Maybe because of the fact last week I had a melt down because my detailed e-mails aren't read but "skimmed."
Anyways, the question came. Something in the last 3 months I was asked by one other person. And I 100% know the answer to this question. We have 100/100 friendship. A relationship doesn't work on 50/50 and it never will. You may think the other person is going to pick up the pieces because they love you so much but that isn't always true. They maybe just as broken, angry, sad, overwhelmed as you are. We have this misconception that people in our life our going to meet us halfway but sometimes we don't have the definition of that halfway point and everything in between. My halfway and your halfway could be a 20 mile difference on the road of life.
Our friendship isn't 100/100 everyday sometimes one of us drops the ball but we are always quick to pick it back up. My bestfriend has been there everytime my world seemed to be falling apart and there when I was in the pure bliss of perfect happiness. Cheering me on. Making me laugh. Telling me it will be ok. Reminding me to turn to God. Being the shoulder to lean on.
I think it is a simple answer. We may not both like to read, workout everyday, sleep for long hours, watch TV. But we both care about each other. Know how to make each other laugh and sweep up each others pieces and hold on to them until we can put them back together. It is a friendship that has outlasted some poor boyfriend choices, loss, happiness, and strong faith driven moments. It is a friendship that will outlast much more!
No comments:
Post a Comment