Search This Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Basic Quiche

So, I've been MIA lately. It is all good. :) Life has been crazy and I've been busy. I actually have not cooked too many creative meals lately. To jump start my way back into blogging, I thought I would post a recipe that I use often. I've been asked by many for my recipe.


Basic Quiche

1- 9 inch Pie Crust (Pre-made is just fine!)
4- Large Eggs
 3/4 cup- Heavy Cream or Half & Half (If you don't have skim milk works too!)
1/2 cup- Flat leaf Parsely chopped (if desired)
8 oz.- Gruyere or Swiss Cheese
Salt & Pepper
1- Medium Onion (Chopped)
8 oz. - Bacon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large skillet over medium heat add chopped bacon.
Saute until browned. Remove from pan and drain.  Reserving a small amount of grease in the pan.
Add chopped onions. Cook until transparent. Salt & Pepper to taste. Add parsley. Continue to cook 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a large mixing bowl whisk eggs and cream together.


Shred Gruyere or Swiss cheese. Why shred, you ask? Because it is the only way to go! If there is one short cut I strongly urge you to avoid it is, buying pre-shredded cheese! You may want to argue the time factor and still question why? Here is the fact: Pre-shredded cheese has at least four added ingredients, count 'em:
 1. Potato Starch
2. Natamycin
3. Corn Starch
4. Calcium Sulfate

Why add extra stuff to your body? No need. Some other reasons to shred your own cheese (from Comfy in the Kitchen) Skip over if you just want to finish the recipe!
1. Pre-shredded cheese costs more than a block of cheese.

2. You can get almost 4 C. of shredded cheese if you shred an 8 oz. block yourself, but if you buy an 8oz. bag, you only get 2 C.

3. Pre-shredded cheese doesn’t taste as good or melt as good as a block of cheese you grate yourself.

4. As soon as you shred cheese, it begins to lose nutritional value.

5. If you store a block of cheese in aluminum foil in the refrigerator, (no plastic) it will last for weeks - as opposed to a bag of pre-shredded that only lasts 3-5 days. (after opened!)

6. PRE-SHREDDED CHEESE HAS AN INGREDIENT: CELLULOSE……… A NON-CAKING AGENT THAT IS IN A LOT OF FOOD – THAT IS MADE FROM WOOD PULP – BASICALLY COATED IN SAWDUST………
Cellulose is found in plants as microfibrils. These form the structurally strong framework in the cell walls. Cellulose is mostly prepared from wood pulp. 

Get my point!?!? Little extra work has HUGE benefits! 


Place pie crust in 9 inch pie pan. Press down gently and finger pinch the edges.
Add the cheese to egg mixture along with bacon and onions. Mixing together thoroughly.
Place mixture in pie crust.
Place in pre-heated oven. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Until knife is inserted in the center and comes out clean.
Slice and serve with mixed greens, favorite soup, or just enjoy all by itself! :) 

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I have no clue what "Quiche" is ( I couldn't pronounce it if you asked me too) but this looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete